Thursday, September 16, 2010

Jack Morris Was Right All Along

(BOD - Ines Sainz)

Before I begin today’s discussion, I just want to allow my rainbow liberal readers to start bunching their panties up now and start formulating some needlessly tired comment on equality and feminism and blah, blah, blah.

Ready?

(Quick aside: Nice performance by Kyle Drabek last night. Not showing off, not falling behind. He put forth a solid effort in his first major league start and showed tremendous poise for a rookie in his big league debut. Do I still wish we had Roy Halladay instead? Absolutely)

A kerfuffle over female reporters being allowed in male locker rooms has been a much-debated subject over the past couple of days. Ines Sainz, of TV Azteca, went into to the New York Jets locker room to interviewing their quarterback, Dirty Sanchez, who is of Mexican descent.

Now, Sainz is a bombshell (evidenced by her status as the BOD). Thus, she is exponentially better looking than 99% of reporters who ever venture into professional sports locker rooms. Obviously, the players on the Jets roster were impressed with the physical attributes of Miss Sainz.

This is where the story gets murky.

Allegedly, when she was in the locker room, Sainz was showered with demeaning comments and derisive catcalls, the nature of which is never made explicit. So, we don’t actually know what was said. Also, a Jets coach is accused of throwing balls (of the football variety) in Sainz’s direction on the practice field in order for his players to catch a closer glimpse of the Mexican goddess.

Now I can’t condone rude comments made directly to Sainz’s face. That’s just immature, loutish behaviour. However, if some of the comments and catcalls were overheard by other media members, and not within Sainz’s earshot, then they should never have been reported in the first place.

Let me speak for the male species. When we see hot chicks, we talk about them. Always have, always will. The hotter the woman, the more we’ll say. Sure, the comments could be considered demeaning or offensive but, newsflash, men are pigs. And we would never say these things so the woman could actually hear. That would ruin any chance we’d have at sleeping with her (Yes, this is how our minds work).

The fact the coach throwing balls in her direction is even an issue is the stupidest thing I have ever heard in my life. That is literally the first game every boy learns to run when trying to attract the attention of pretty girls.

You’re playing tag at recess; run around where the girls are playing. Playing basketball; pick the basket closest to the girls. This is picking up chicks 101. I think it’s hilarious that millionaire football players have to resort to such sophomoric hijinx to get the attention of a female reporter.

Here’s a personal example: when Gretzpo and I have done our past Caribbean vacations and we’re playing long toss on the beach, we always throw in the direction of where the most babes are located. It’s just common sense.

Clinton Portis, of the Washington Redskins, got into hot water when he made some comments on the radio about this situation. He basically said, and I’m paraphrasing to make Portis sound more coherent, a woman who goes into a locker room with an opportunity to look at 53 naked men is going to sneak a peek or two. She’s probably going to be attracted to someone. There’s nothing wrong with that if it’s subtle, but it’s human nature. I’m sure she’s there to do her job, but she’s also going to be checking someone out. I would do the same.

Portis’ comments are being investigated by the NFL. Are you fucking kidding me? Who gives a shit? He’s speaking the truth.

Everyone is so damn sensitive about everything these days. We all need to lighten up and just enjoy life more.

Getting back to the column title, Jack Morris called this over twenty years ago. He was against female reporters in the locker room for this very reason. His quote when asked about the issue is still my favourite sports quote of all time (Yes, I know I’ve discussed this before):

“The only time I want to talk to a woman when I’m naked is if I’m on top of her or she’s on top of me.”

2 comments:

CH said...

I think it is fair to say that you and I have not always seen eye to eye about most of what you blog about...especially your recent posts about meaningless fodder that is reality tv...but I digress.

As a female, I admit that if I put a certain amount of effort into my appearance, I do want people to notice. It is flattering to hear that people think you’re pretty (or not ugly… I'll take what I can get). I am going to assume that this chick was not in the dressing room with her tits hanging out, but ‘made up’ for tv, and honestly trying to do her job. Please see Sara Carbonero at the World Cup. These women were probably not picked to be on tv for their brains.

I agree with you when you say guys are pigs. If there was anything derogatory said, and there is proof, it is up to her to on how she would like to proceed and handle the situation. I think Portis should have stayed out of it, and kept his mouth shut. It is obvious that the whole thing has been blown completely out of proportion. To be honest, I agree with Jack Morris, and would take it a step farther and say no reporters should be in the dressing rooms, male or female. Would I want a male wondering around my dressing room? No. There are many other opportunities for these interviews to take place.

ac said...

Couldn't help but chuckle at how ingenious us 'fellers are at playing sport near girls to meet them. American Pie 2, Stifler throws long to Oz, who falls into a pile of girls and brings them back to the party. I met quite likely the most attractive female I've ever had relations with when we were throwing and my buddy kept letting the ball go past him...I'm howling while writing this, it's just too good to make up...long live men.