Tuesday, April 13, 2010

NHL Playoff Preview

I am still riding high from my correct prediction months ago that the Calgary Flames and Toronto Maple Leafs would miss the 2010 postseason. As such, I figured I should flex some more hockey knowledge and predict the winners the first round of the playoffs.

(Quick aside to He Who Hits Bombs: Once again, a funny and interesting recap of the podcast. You even proved that you actually listened by calling me on stupid comments that I made. However, you had a problem with the usage of words like ‘undulation’ and ‘aficionado’ and remarked that I’m just trying to sound smart since I don’t use such words every day.

Correction: I don’t use those words when talking to you because I know you’re not smart enough to understand them. If a term isn’t gym-related, I assume it just goes right over your head. You’re kind of like an oar-less rowboat drifting aimlessly out to sea when it comes to verbal comprehension.

And let’s be honest, the only reason you made it the full 25 minutes is that you literally have nothing better to do with your time. That being said, your open invitation to be a guest on a future podcast is still on the table)

Eastern Conference

Washington (1) vs. Montreal (8)

I would love to say that the Canadiens are primed to pull off their best David versus Goliath impression but, much like the Bible, such nonsense is not based on any semblance of fact.

Montreal is going to get pumped by the Capitals. Washington was the class of the NHL throughout the regular season and their team possesses no clear holes. Plus, their offence is absolutely terrifying; the Capitals were the only team in the league to have two guys score over 100 points: Niklas Backstrom and some Russian guy.

Capitals in 5

New Jersey (2) vs. Philadelphia (7)

Philadelphia backed into the playoffs. They played like shit over the last two weeks of the season to allow the New York Rangers to claw back into contention. I actually hoped the Rangers would get the final playoff spot over the Flyers because I want teams in the postseason who are on a roll and, you know, deserve to be there.

The Flyers only qualified because they are better at shootouts than the Rangers. Something that won’t help them against New Jersey, a team that beat the defending Stanley Cup Champions six times a row this year. Yes, six times in a row. Look for the Devils to make some noise in May.

Devils in 4

Buffalo (3) vs. Boston (6)

I literally don’t know anything about these teams. As I’ve written in a previous column, I only follow star players and the Sabres and Bruins possess no such constellations.

However, I do remember Ryan Miller, Buffalo’s goalie, from the Olympics and how he completely stymied Team Canada. Miller almost single-handedly stole our gold medal from us. Therefore, he is the X Factor in this series.

Sabres in 6

Pittsburgh (4) vs. Ottawa (5)

Short and sweet: Sid the Kid > everyone on the Senators.

Penguins in 4

Western Conference

San Jose (1) vs. Colorado (8)

The Shark’s MO for the last few years has been that they are great in the regular season, but they don’t have the resident toughness or intestinal fortitude to go deep into the playoffs.

There is a glaring difference between this year’s squad and the Sharks of seasons’ past. The change took place in February when the line of Joe Thornton, Patrick Marleau and Danny Heatley was instrumental in leading Team Canada to gold.

They are an unstoppable trio. The days of San Jose hitting the golf course in April are no longer. Look for a deep run by the boys in teal.

Sharks in 5

Chicago (2) vs. Nashville (7)

I hate Patrick Kane and everything his little punkass stands for. I hope he gets a concussion.

Predators in 6

Vancouver (3) vs. Los Angeles (6)

Bobby Lu is my new favourite goaltender for obvious reasons. I can’t see how he won't carryover his mojo from the Olympics into the NHL postseason.

But, he will be playing against Drew Doughty, arguably Canada’s best defenseman in Vancouver. Something’s gotta give and I think it will be Doughty’s lack of experience.

Canucks in 6

Phoenix (4) vs. Detroit (5)

I think this series has the potential to be the best series of the first round. You have the Coyotes with karma on their side for the way the NHL has jerked them around for the past 18 months. They have an ‘us against the world’ mentality that can’t be overlooked in a seven game series.

On the other hand, you have the Detroit Red Wings, who have been the class of the league for over a generation. Before the Olympic break, there was a lot of talk that the Wings were in danger of missing the postseason for the first time since, I think, Gordie Howe last laced up his skates.

The next thing I know, they are the hottest team in the NHL and have cracked the 100 point plateau once again. There is no one in the league who wants to play Detroit right now.

Wings in 7

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I read the comments attacking his vocabulary prowess I knew there’s no-way that was going to pass without a response. After all he is very proud of his word a day calendar and his mastery of the Synonym option in Microsoft word. Don’t ever under estimate the effort required to turn the page in a calendar and/or place a cursor on a word, right click and select the Synonyms option.

I’m willing to bet he probably used the words in question correctly in this instance, but if my experience holds true struggled to pronounce them. He has certainly provided me with some amusing moments with some of his attempts. A TV character always comes to mind – Archie Bunker. Even words like pumice have given me a good chuckle. A certain someone insists its pronounced “poomiss”.

Hopefully Marty and the boys knock off the flyers in the predicted 4. Don’t want them wasting too much energy the Flyers. We’ve got a long way to go to the finish line. It’s been a long 7 years since my boys last hoisted the cup. Definitely time to do it again.

AG