Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Another Cowardly Move

(BOD - Courtney Cox)


I should have seen this coming. Under the guise of "having to go to work early" CSzem has once again shirked his podcast duties, depriving you all the chance to hear my syrupy smooth baritone.


After what transpired over the weekend, I should have included one last bet late last night: CSzem skips podcast (+1,000,000) and I still would have taken the over. But look at it from his perspective. Here is a man who prides himself on his gambling prowess and his ability to blow his son's future college tuition on props, teasers and parlays.


He studies this stuff. Lives and breathes sports gambling. So what happens when one of his jerk friends (yours truly) comes along and, after being taught the finer points of sports betting only two weeks earlier, proceeds to beat the Gambling Guru at his own game?


Yes, it's true. In our first ever betting smackdown I went 10-5 over the weekend, while the author of CSzem's Corner (does this mean I have to start writing that column too?) only went a paltry 9-6. How does he handle that emotionally? No wonder he ran off with his tail between his legs this morning.


(FYI: he just sent me a profanity-laced text blaming the snow on today's absence. Aww, baby want his bottle? You live in Canada. Sack up, sweetheart.)


Full disclosure: I am so go green at this gambling thing that on more than one occasion while I made my picks, I was forced to consult our gambling podcast because I forgot what the pluses and minuses meant next to the team names. This is who you lost to, CSzem. For shame.


I also had no idea there was a game on Thursday night until approximately thirty minutes before tipoff. Or is it kickoff? I always get my sports confused. I'm like the Rain Man of football gambling.


I can't wait for CSzem's long-winded diatribe on his excuses for his loss this weekend. It should be exciting to see him try to grasp at straws and make excuses for why he's pathetic.


The main topic of today's podcast was supposed to be Major League Baseball's winter meetings and I'm hoping we can record that on Thursday. Of course if Cszem's little footsies aren't too cold from the big, bad snow.

I don't want to blow my winter meeting thoughts here, but I do want to say one thing about what took place over the weekend. Jayson Werth evidently does not like to play baseball in October, nor does he want to compete for championships. Why in the hell would he sign with the Washington Nationals?

While I suppose $100 million is more than enough reason to do so, I can't belive any organization would be stupid enough to actually give Werth that kind of money. Not only that, but then the Jays decide to trade their number one starter for a kid. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Tune in Thursday for more winter meeting thoughts.

No comments: