Friday, December 3, 2010

CSzem's Corner

(BOD - Stacey Dash)

Tewks' Picks: Vikings (-5.5), Browns (+4.5), Broncos (+9.5), Giants (-7), Bears (-4.5), Packers (-9.5), Saints (-6.5), Falcons (-2), Raiders (+13), Seahawks (-6), Colts (-5), Rams (-3.5), Ravens (-3), Jets (+3.5)

Last Week: 6-9
This Week: 1-0
Overall: 31-27

Congrats to Tewks for winning in his first ever NFL pick. That must have been quite exhilarating. I remember my first gambling win, as a wide-eyed 17 year old (18 as far as the Canadian government is concerned). I won $1,000 playing Pro-Line (seriously). Probably the worst thing that ever happened to me, since it basically guaranteed a lifetime of being a degenerate gambler.

Tewks, no doubt, has the itch now as well. After his beginner’s luck wears off, I look forward to the inevitable column on his new site, “The Why Me?!?!”. Indeed, a career as a professional baseball player is likely unattainable with two broken kneecaps.

On to the picks!!

Bills (+5.5) @ Vikings

Bills seem to be playing everyone tough. I am a little worried about God seeking some revenge on Steve Johnson for getting blamed for Johnson’s ridiculous drop in the endzone (in OT, no less) last week against the Steelers. But according to Johnson’s Twitter page, they seem to have reconciled their differences as the week went on. Still too much respect for the Vikings.

Browns (+4.5) @ Dolphins

As I correctly wrote last week, the Browns play up (or down) to their opponent, narrowly sneaking out a win (and cost Gretzpo $400 in our Survivor Pool, as well….that was fun). The Dolphins continue to be rock solid on the road, and horrid at home.

Broncos (+9.5) @ Chiefs

I am already terrified at the fact that I keep taking underdogs. Chiefs might be better than I think they are. Tough, old-school, AFC West rivalry though. If the Broncos have any pride, they’ll at least make this competitive.

Giants (-7) v. Redskins

In all honesty, I originally had the Redskins but changed it so I wasn’t picking another ‘dog. This is a good line. Giants are clearly the better team, and they should take care of business here.

Lions (+5) v. Bears

Classic letdown game for the Bears after their big win against the Eagles. I’m thinking they sleepwalk through the first bit of the game and then wake up enough to make sure they win (but don’t cover). Apparently the Lions haven’t won a division game since 2007. How is that even possible??

Packers (-9.5) v. 49ers

Packers in a walk.

Bengals (+6.5) v. Saints

You know what’s crazy about the fact that I’m taking all of these underdogs? In my “Straight Up” pool (no spread), I took literally all of the favourites to win. So pretty much the only way I can win money this week in both is if every single game is close, and ridiculously entertaining, but won by the favourite. Perfect, that always happens.

Falcons (-2) @ Bucs

This is the start of the three game road trip where we’re going to find out if Atlanta is actually the best team in the NFC (and maybe the NFL). If they’re as good as everyone thinks they are, they’ll get this done.

Chargers (-13) v. Raiders

This line absolutely blew me away when I saw it. Thought it was going to be maybe 9.5. Seems insanely high. But the Chargers just won by 22 AT Indy, in primetime. No one does that. They are destroying people right now.

Seahawks (-6) v. Panthers

I’m thinking last week was going to be the Panthers last shot to win a game this year. The Pacific Northwest is a tough place to travel to for a football game (but a great place to learn how to climb trees).

Colts (-5) v. Cowboys

This game is going to tell me whether or not the Colts are done. I think they’ve got enough in them to win this one and eventually win the division.

Cards (+3.5) v. Rams

I cannot wait for a 7-9 team to win the NFC West. I think Jon Gruden’s head might explode.

Jets (+3.5) @ Pats

What a great game this is going to be. I might actually stay up for the second half (dammit, I’m starting to sound like Tewks). In a game like this, I think you have to take the points. The Jets could win this game, and the Pats could win by a FG. Could the Pats cover? Sure, but I don’t think that’s any more likely than either of those other two things, and two out of three ain’t bad.

Ravens (-3) v. Steelers

No comments: