Friday, July 9, 2010

Will the Miami Heat Lose a Game?

(BOD - My Wife)

(Quick note to CSzem who lambasted me in yesterday’s comments for having the gall to not know the names of a bunch of MLB setup men. A thousand apologies, sir. Yes, I should have more respect for pitchers who aren’t trusted to throw to more than a couple of batters a game because they’re not good enough to be starters. And let’s be honest: the only reason you know who those guys are is because you’re a fantasy sports nerd, whereas I actually play the game)

When I first heard that LeBron James was going to hold a one hour special on ESPN to announce his destination for the next few NBA seasons, I thought this entire free agent saga had officially spun out of control.

Really, LeBron? You need an hour of primetime coverage to make a 3 second announcement. During the preamble, I kept getting flashbacks to American Idol results shows where it seems like a lot is happening, but it’s really just filler until a decision is made.

I also thought ESPN was trying way too hard to be like CNN last night. Calling the program ‘Decision’ and having a bunch of talking heads say the same thing over and over again gave me flashbacks to the election coverage (or really anything that CNN covers these days). I expected John King to pop out of nowhere and start writing on his goofy touch screen video board.

But as soon as Jim Gray started interviewing LeBron the entire program became oddly riveting. I found myself excited for LeBron’s decision even though it has very little impact on me as a sports fan.

Did anyone else notice how terrified LeBron looked when making the announcement he was headed to South Beach? I legitimately thought he was going to throw up. Then we all realized why. He was basically taking a gigantic dump on the city of Cleveland and his thousands of fans.

If I’m LeBron, I don’t understand this decision at all. Look at what Kobe Bryant faced previous to the last two years. Everyone said that Kobe couldn’t win a title without Shaq; that he needed another superstar to elevate himself to that next level. With apologies to Pau Gasol, Kobe has shown he can win a title as the big dog in the yard.

If (and really, when) the Heat win a title, the same thing will be written about LeBron. He couldn’t get it done in Cleveland by himself, so he needed to run to Miami and get help. Transcendent players don’t need ‘help’ to win championships.

It will be interesting to see how this soap opera plays out next season. Can Miami’s rookie coach handle these three big personalities? How long before Pat Riley emerges from the wings to take over the best team in East? Are there enough shots and minutes for LeBron, Wade and Bosh to co-exist peacefully?

What happens if the Heat get out to a slow start? Miami has to win the championship next season. Anything else will be considered a failure. LeBron has never really been that great at handling tremendous pressure, evidenced by his spectacular playoff flameouts the past two years. And Toronto fans all know that Chris Bosh sucks.

The wildcard in all of this is Kobe. I guarantee he was sitting at home watching the hoopla surrounding James and viewing the proceedings with a jealous eye. He’s the guy with five rings and currently the real King of the NBA castle.

I’ll bet anything he’s making it his personal mission to destroy the Heat at all costs. Hell hath no fury like a determined Kobe.

No comments: