Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Apocalypse is Near

(BOD - Marissa Miller)

Obviously, the big story of last night was Game 7 between the Penguins and the Habs. It was also the first game for my senior rep baseball team and I was given the opening night start. Not wanting to write an article about the game from a highlight package, I entrusted CSzem to produce his thoughts on the Habs' second consecutive Game 7 showdown.

I rarely big up my pitching performances on this blog, but last night was a game I may never be able to replicate. Scroll about halfway down for the details (Look for all the Ks).

I do have to warn you that CSzem's article is a self-congratulatory opus on the greatness of the Montreal franchise. I could barely keep my breakfast down whilst reading it. It's also filled with an alarming amount of hubris for a team that has more horseshoes than an 18th century blacksmith.

(Edit: I just received an email from CSzem bemoaning the fact he forgot to mention that the game was a sellout at the Bell Centre in Montreal and the game was played in Pittsburgh. He can go fuck himself)

Yesterday was a surreal day from start to finish. All of you obviously know where this blog post is going to finish – unbridled euphoria and as many “Ole’s” as Tewks is willing to include. But how did we get there? It was a strange trip to say the least.

Early in the afternoon, I received a text from Tewks explaining his predicament for being unable to give proper attention to the following day's blog post. At that point (approx. 7 hours before gametime), I happily agreed, albeit with the requisite forewarning that if the Canadiens lost, more than half my allotted words were likely to be F-bombs. But as the day went on and puck drop drew nearer, a very odd feeling came over me: It was the overwhelming realization that in a matter of hours, I was going to either be elated or completely devastated. And there was no in between. Just a really surreal thing to think about, since (at the time) my mood was completely non-descript.

Sidenote: I am very aware that I'm an over-the-top sports fan. I'm totally OK with this. Everyone who knows me has learned to put up with it, or just avoids being near me when something of note (specifically a Canadiens game) is taking place. But I've reached an odd level of self-understanding. It is not normal to feel the way that I do about the Canadiens. I have many incredible things in my life that should take precedence, but invariably, I'm affected time and time again. I've tried to "care" less. I can't do it. More often than not, I wish I cared less. Wednesday night made it all seem worthwhile.

The game started, and instantly it became very obvious that this was not going to be a "normal" night. 10 seconds in, Sid the Kid to the box. 32 seconds in, 1-0 Habs. What the hell just happened?? The game wore on, and I'll spare you the details of the first period and a half - or more specifically the girlish screams I let out after each successive Canadiens goal.

At 4-0, my phone was basically buzzing constantly with congratulatory text messages. Nothing upsets me more. Karma sucks, and playoff hockey games are 60 minutes long. Did the Pens look ready to continue their implosion? Absolutely. I mean, what the hell was Gonchar doing on the Habs’ fourth goal?? But they weren't going to bend over and just take it for three whole periods in the (possibly) last ever game at the Igloo.

Then they scored two quick goals, and the lead was down to 2. You`re going to have to give me a little latitude here (“very little”), and trust that what I`m telling you next about the Canadiens is true. They were going to blow this game. They DID blow this game. I watched it happen multiple times during the year. I honestly and truly watch every game they play (I own a PVR and pay for the Sports Package solely for this purpose), and I`d seen this movie before. Hell, it even happened against the Caps in Round 1 (Game 2)!

I began considering my two options (keep in mind this is with a two goal lead and only 22 minutes to play):

Option 1 – “Man Up”

I write the blog, as agreed. Obviously I have to discuss my disappointment, and try to convey how I feel after such a devastating loss. Was the playoff run still a success?? I would discuss the fact that we had a 13.5 game run, and then the magic ran out, but I have a team I love and look forward to next year.

Option 2 – “Fuck off Tewks”

I send the following text message: “No way in hell I’m writing your stupid blog after that. Fuck you. Fuck everyone.”

I`d like to think I would have gone with Option 1, but I highly doubt it.

But as you all know, a funny thing happened on the way home. Nothing happened. We killed a few penalties, picked up a PP of our own (by the way, there was no way in hell any “judgment” calls were going the Habs’ way at this point....fortunately the Pens committed the “penalty du jour” with 6 skaters), buried a goal, and laughed off into the sunset.

So now all that`s left is the euphoria. It`s there for sure.....but it`s accompanied by something I was not at all expecting: An insatiable desire for more. Before tonight, it had honestly never occurred to me that the Canadiens could actually win the Stanley Cup at the end of this. It felt like we were in some separate bracket that was just for our fun little story but didn`t really have any bearing on the rest of the playoffs. But now? Bring on Philly or bring on Boston! We have unfinished business.

OLE, OLE, OLE, OLE.....OLE! OLE!!

GO HABS GO!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tewks congrats on the game. Great way to start the season.

Hmmm what’s with the modesty? I have never known you to be shy when it comes to bragging/self promotion. The only difference I can think of is this time it’s based on fact, performance in the game, vs. things you make up in your fantasy world i.e. success with women.

Ever since your big proclamation many months ago I have been waiting for the evidence that 2010 is in fact the Year of Tewks. These is a good entry, but remember we are mid way thru May so you better get busy if you want to add more checks in your personal wins column before 2010 is behind us.

As for the Montreal win I got a good laugh last night at the bar. The OLE OLE OLE started and I could just picture you cringing.

AG