Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Karma is a Bitch

(In yesterday’s comments, AC asked that I begin providing the names of the 'Babe of the Day' for, what I assume are masturbatory purposes. Ask and ye shall receive. Today’s lady is Kaley Cuoco)

It’s very rare that I get an opportunity to gloat in this space, so when the time comes along that I am actually correct in predicting something sports related, it’s best to take full advantage. I’d be remiss if I didn’t.

Back in November, I wrote a very engaging piece on the H1N1 flu shot scandal. Read it here. To summarize, Canadian NHL players were given the opportunity to skip the queues and receive their flu shots before at-risk priority groups.

I was particularly vehement in my written word upbraiding of these rough, tough hockey players, but I also made, in hindsight, a very cunning prediction:

Karma is going to come back and bite the Calgary Flames in the ass; I guarantee they won’t make the playoffs this year. I’d say the same thing about the Leafs but they weren’t going to make the playoffs in the first place.

What happened last night? The Calgary Flames were eliminated from playoff contention. How do you like them apples, Flames? Still wish you had gotten that flu shot before everyone else?

I think this may be the first time I have ever been right on the blog. I feel like I should be standing on an aircraft carrier, in a flight suit, with a giant ‘Mission Accomplished’ banner hanging behind me.

I feel so energized by my correct assertion that I want to parlay my luck a little bit further with my prediction for the winner of the Rocket Richard trophy for most regular season goals. Plus, since I already covered the NBA points race, it’s only fair that I talk about some white guys who score as well.

Sidney Crosby and Alexander Ovechkin faced off against each other in another clash last night and, when the dust settled, both players had 48 goals with three and two regular games remaining respectively. Honestly, Crosby should be up by one because Ovechkin’s second goal was complete horseshit.

It’s a 5-3 game with less than ten seconds left and Ovechkin was skating around like it was Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals. He put the puck in with two tenths of a second remaining on the clock. I know a goal is a goal, but it was a pure garbage tally. I hope Ovechkin doesn’t end up winning by one.

Somehow Steven Stamkos is still in the mix for the title as the baby-faced assassin scored his 47th last night. It would just be weird seeing Stamkos’ name engraved on the trophy. Is he really the player you’d most remember from this season when asked to name a prolific goal scorer?

Also, not to take away anything from the kid, but I’m pretty sure every single goal he’s scored this year has come on the power play from the exact same spot on the ice: the left faceoff dot. He’s a great player, but I have a sneaking suspicion that his goal total from this year will eventually be explained away as a statistical
aberration.

I hope Crosby ends up with 50 on the year (for the first time in his career) and ultimately takes the trophy because this may be his last opportunity. Let’s face it, Ovechkin is a better pure goal scorer than Sid the Kid and Ovie’s missed quite a few games this year, so it would be nice for Sid to capture the one piece of hardware that has eluded him.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh the poor members of the Tewks household. You will be impossible to live with today strutting around telling them over and over how you were right. They will definitely need a pitcher of martinis and to go to their happy places. Just wait it out until the ego eventually comes back down to size or you are distracted by your reflection. Ah who are we kidding we know which scenario will happen first.

AG

ac said...

Thanks for the BOD identifications moving fwd, do me a favour and keep mine under wraps though, in case there are stalking suits that can be traced back to this blog.

Though I hope you are right after your shameless self-promotion of one correct prognostication, wouldn't you expect that the reasoning the Flamers missed the playoffs was a wholesale line change with the Maple Leafs?

Malory said...

Kaley Cuoco? Really? If you're going to put pictures of women on your blog, at least make sure they're actually good looking.