Thursday, October 21, 2010

A Wild Night

(BOD - Faith Hill)

The Yankees managed to earn a stay of execution last night but, truthfully, it’s just a matter of time before Texas puts New York away to punch their first World Series ticket in franchise history. Yesterday’s column was all about the ALCS, so let’s give some love to the senior circuit and last night’s epic, seesaw battle.

(A caveat: He Who Hits Bombs and I were texting during last night’s game and we agreed that the winner of last night’s game would go on to win the series. My thinking was that a loss of that magnitude, with so many lead changes, would be disastrous to the collective psyche of the losing team. As a staunch Doc supporter, I sincerely hope that I am wrong).

I can’t begin a column about the NLCS without mentioning, once again, the incredible Cody Ross. There’s no reason for me to like this guy, but I can’t help respect what he’s doing in this postseason. Joe Blanton even upped the ante from Roy Oswalt and hit Ross on the elbow to try to snuff out his scorching hot hitting prowess. It didn’t work, as Ross confidently crushed a double in his next at-bat. He has to be the MVP of the LCS, right?

I think it’s safe to say the best adjective to describe the Phillies bullpen is beleaguered. The offence finally woke up and showed some mettle, coming back from some early deficits, but the bullpen couldn’t hold onto a lead. What does it say about Charlie Manuel’s trust in his guys that he summoned Roy Oswalt to pitch the ninth inning? Is Brad Lidge even still on the postseason roster?

If Philly’s starters get into any trouble in the remaining games, I fear it may be the end for the City of Brotherly Love. Especially with the way the Giants staff and bullpen are throwing. I definitely have the ‘Fear the Beard’ fever. I want to pump iron with Giants closer, Brian Wilson. He looks like he has some serious lifting numbers and his beard is just magical.

At this moment, I owe an apology to Cszem. I accused him of being racist in the podcast for being deathly afraid of Charles Oakley. He sent me a message last night assuring me that he’s just as scared of Brian Wilson as he is of Oak. Thus, my co-host is not a racist, just a pussy.

The situation (Jersey Shore finale tonight!!) looks dire for Philadelphia, but they could not be set up better for the next three games: Hallday, Oswalt, and Hamels. Of course, the arms on the other side of the field are pretty good too.

Here’s hoping to an epic Game 5 tonight.

No comments: