Thursday, October 28, 2010

What the Hell Happened?

I don’t know if I can talk about Cliff Lee’s implosion just yet. I fear I may be still in shock, like my world’s been turned upside down. I don’t know what I’m supposed to believe anymore.

I feel like Duke talking to Rocky in the attic of the desolate Russian cabin in Rocky IV:

“When Cliff Lee got lit up by the Giants and he couldn’t throw an offspeed pitch for strikes, a part of me died. And when he just ran fastball after fastball up at the Giants and the San Francisco hitters just sat dead red, a bigger part of me died. I was raised to believe that Cliff Lee was omnipotent.”

The worst part about this analogy is that I can’t even make a “Now, you’re the one” reference to Tim Lincecum because he threw terribly also and had a couple of inexcusable brain farts.

What the hell was he doing in the first inning when that slow roller was tapped towards him and Michael Young broke for home from third? Timmy did the right thing by running right at him to make the runner freeze, but then he just nonchalantly jogged Young back to the base, without a throw, loading the bases. I don’t even think he realized his miscue as he just had a blank stare on his face. I think he was still high.

Timmy’s next inexcusable act was giving up a laser double to Cliff Lee in Lee’s first at-bat since last year. He didn’t even look like he knew how to swing properly and he’s ripping Lincecum for a double. Giving up anything other than an out to an American League pitcher in the World Series is completely pathetic.

For Texas to win, they really need to get Vladimir Guerrero out of rightfield. I know they need his bat in the lineup but his fielding was atrocious last night. It’s not that he doesn’t have the ability to play the position, it’s just that he’s too old and banged up to play it properly.

Vladdy reminds me of the fat, drunk uncle who patrols the outfield during your family softball game. At first it’s funny to see him out there, but after awhile it just gets sad and depressing and you hope he doesn’t pull anything.

The list of the pitchers San Francisco has smacked around this postseason is nothing short of impressive: Halladay, Oswalt, Hamels, Cliff Lee, Derek Lee. And this from a team that had a putrid offence during the regular season.

I still think Texas is going to win the series, but my like of the Giants is steadily creeping to the surface. Allow me a second Rocky IV reference in today’s column. I’ve just watched Rocky (San Fran) take a beating at the hands of bigger, stronger opponents and yet they keep coming. The stodgy Russian crowd in me is starting to show some begrudging respect.

“Hear cheers now for the San Francisco Giants!”

No comments: