Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Second Round Playoff Thoughts

Due to my Cuban vacation, I was unable to properly gloat on the genius that was my prognostication of the NHL’s first round playoff matchups. So, allow me to do that now:

Out of the eight series, I correctly predicted the winners in four of them for a 50% average. Actually, that’s not very good at all. Trust me, I know. I had the same average throughout my university career. I would have done equally as well flipping a coin.

Luckily, I’ve never been one to laud my hockey knowledge and I know for a fact that I bested some of the talking heads on Canada’s Sports Leader, so I’m going to get right back on the horse and give my thoughts on the second round series’ thus far.

(Quick aside before we get going: with the Toronto Blue Jays seemingly having at least one pitcher a week throw upwards of 6 complete innings of no-hit ball, I feel it necessary to weigh on the proper etiquette of how to broach the subject. Everyone knows that you don’t mention a no-hitter outright; that’s just common knowledge.

However, I got two texts last night in the sixth inning of Brett Cecil’s masterful start last night. They both said something like ‘Are you watching the game?’ and ‘How about Cecil?’ Right away, I knew that something historic was afoot. But, as a pitcher, I also know how hard it is to actually throw a no-hitter (my first one was last year). And it only gets tougher as the games moves into the deeper innings.

There’s no point getting excited if a guy is perfect through five or six innings; there’s just too much game left. It really shouldn’t even warrant a mention until the guy has thrown seven complete. Then, the finish line is in sight and the magnitude of the situation can be properly calibrated.

In sum: If a pitcher is weaving a no-no, keep your pants on until after the seventh inning stretch.)

Pittsburgh vs. Montreal

The Canadiens are playing with house money at this point and that makes them a very dangerous team for the rest of the postseason. They are playing free and loose hockey right now. Everyone, including the players, knows they shouldn’t be in this position.

As a proud Canadian, I should be pulling for Les Habitants because they are one of only two Canadian teams remaining in the playoffs, but I cannot, in good conscience, support an organization that has a fan base comprised of those douchebags I was forced to associate with in Cuba.

My man-love for Sid the Kid reached a crescendo during the first round, but I am very concerned with his play in Game 2. I’ve never really noticed this before, especially watching on television, but Crosby was absolutely terrible on Sunday afternoon. He looked lazy and disinterested which are two adjectives I never thought I’d hear about Sid the Kid.

If he doesn’t bounce back tonight, my guess is that he’s injured. Transcendent players don’t just disappear in the playoffs (especially after dominating the first round).

Philadelphia vs. Boston

I didn’t pick either of these teams to make it to the second round, so I am boycotting the series in protest. Boston, up two zip, has obviously been buoyed by the return of Marc Savard, which was great to see. I don’t see the Bruins letting this one slip away.

Vancouver vs. Chicago

My adoration for Bobby Lu and his masterful performance at the Olympics in February is only eclipsed by my ongoing hatred of Patrick Kane. My vitriol will never cease; or at least until I punch him in the face at a bar in London this summer. There’s actually a 25 percent chance that scenario will actually take place.

This is great series and I have to give Vancouver the edge at the moment because they nullified Chicago’s home ice advantage with that dominating Game 1 victory. Plus, the Hawks got lucky last night.

San Jose vs. Detroit

What a great juxtaposition between two franchises in terms of previous playoff success. It’s time for a changing of the guard. It’s now the Sharks turn to shine in the spring. Plus, they are currently up 2-0 after spanking the Wings twice on home ice. Even San Jose can’t blow this one.

Right?

1 comment:

Shan said...

lol how was I supposed to know that when CSzem was saying "do you understand what it means that he's walked the last 4 batters" that he wasn't in fact testing my baseball knowledge?!

From a girl's point of view, it was HILARIOUS when I said "oh ya, so he has a no hitter so far?" and then the next batter got a hit! HI-LARIOUS!