Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Olympic Thoughts

My patriotism has been called into question with my lack of Olympic-related content thus far. First of all, it’s not my fault that the Games fell on a three day weekend when I don’t post new material.

Second, the accusation that I am not wrapped up in a nationalistic fervour for the Vancouver Olympics is completely facetious. I’ve been bleeding red and white since Friday night’s opening ceremonies.

Plus, as we all know, the Olympics don’t start in earnest until the Men’s hockey team takes the ice for the first time. Since that happened last night, here are some notes on the first four days of competition.

Great start by the boys against the Norwegians last night. Once they stopped trying to be too cute and make the perfect pass, Team Canada pretty much imposed their will on their opponents.

Watching Norway’s goaltender stonewall Canada throughout the first period made me think of the movie 300. Why? One of the broadcasters mentioned that Norway’s goalie was actually a carpenter by day. Many of the Norwegians don’t play hockey for their primary source of income; can you imagine Sidney Crosby working as a lifeguard or something to make ends meet in the offseason?

The situation is analogous to the scene in the movie when King Leonidas and his 300 soldiers were met by Daxos and the Arcadian army. The Arcadians were shocked at the small number of Sparta’s fighting force. Leonidas asks some of the Arcadians what they do for a living. Some of the answers: potter, blacksmith etc.

Then Gerard Butlers asks, “Spartans! What do you do for a living?”

HAROO! HAROO! HAROO!

“You see old friend, I’ve brought more soldiers (hockey players) than you.”

Hmm, that was a little bit convoluted. I guess what I’m trying to say is Norway is Arcadia and Canada is Sparta. I hope that doesn’t mean Russia is Persia.

I’m happy with Canada’s medal output thus far. We have five medals through four days of competition. Plus, from everything I’ve read, the last week is where we are supposed to do the most damage in the medal standings.

How great was Alexander Bilodeau’s performance in the moguls to win Canada’s first ever gold medal on home soil?

The victory ceremony where he received his medal was one of the most moving things I’ve ever seen on television (non-nudity division). Hearing the crowd sing the national anthem while the Canadian flag was being raised gave me goosebumps. There may have been a wetness in my eyes as well.

I love the patriotism this country has shown thus far. We’re no longer playing the gentle Canadians happy to be invited to the Olympics. We’re out for blood and gold.

It’s fantastic.

No comments: