Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Sick of the Toronto Sports Scene

(BOD - Chelsie Hightower)

I can’t take it anymore.

Not only do I have to deal with lacklustre teams putting up a woeful lack of W’s on the scoreboard, a television conflict that threatens to crack even the biggest fans’ resolves, but media types and fans, some of whom must be fairly smart people, have lost complete touch with reality.

After my diatribe against the Leafs yesterday, I thought I would be done with the issue. Unfortunately, not being a fan of the team, I had no idea their first exhibition game was yesterday at the ACC versus the Senators.

First off, I love the euphemism that real fans were in attendance because tickets were free due to a generous donation by Coca-Cola. Those weren’t real fans, those were poor people. I have better things to do with my time than fraternize with the dregs of society. Am I being too harsh? These free ticket games always lead to the most altercations in the stands from morons who drink too much and have no idea how to conduct themselves in a social setting that isn’t a monster truck rally.

The Leafs got smacked around 5-0 by the Sens. Some of you may expect me to gloat that the team is going to be terrible, but I can’t because I’m smart enough to know that exhibition games are meaningless. The knee-jerk reactions around the GTA deriding the club were absolutely incredible. Why does rational thinking go out the window when it comes to this team?

From what I read, there were quite a number of fights, but a pitiful number of scoring chances by Toronto. I guess the old adage rings true, ‘you play like you practice.’ The power play was especially anemic, but that was to be expected because the Leafs ‘haven’t practiced special teams.’

What? Why the hell not?

Someone needs to tell Brian Burke that there is more to the game than fighting. I thought he was a smart guy, but not after the following quote he’s been saying to everyone who will listen: “We think it’s realistic [making the playoffs] based on the fact that from Jan. 31 to the end of the season we were the seventh-best team in the East.”

Talk about grasping at straws.

Onto the Blue Jays. Of course, if I was actually able to watch the team, I would have a lot more things to say. They managed to eke out a win versus the Mariners last night. Afterwards, it became public that Cito is going to stick with his veterans the rest of the year to ensure the club finishes over .500.

Are you kidding me?

The team is sacrificing the opportunity to give their young guns some playing time to prepare for next year in order to have the team work towards complete mediocrity. I am absolutely disgusted.

To paraphrase former Notre Dame Head Coach, Ara Parseghian, “you just summed up your whole sorry franchise here in one second. As it was, you just went from my favourite MLB team to an afterthought. Get out of here. Find me another team to cheer for. Go on, get out of here!”

There must be some benevolent billionaire out there who is willing to save these teams. Please. For the love of God, please.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The tickets were free? That explains the mob scene around the ACC last night as I walked back to catch my train home. Not to mention the ton of people in their Leaf jerseys getting on the train as we were getting off. I noticed it wasn’t the normal group of folks headed into the ACC. Usually it’s just a bunch of suits as they are the only ones who can afford to go.

AG

CSzem said...

There's just no making you happy, is there? If a team doesn't do their best to win, right to the end of the season, they're shortchanging their fans and - more importantly for my argument - their customers. How can the Jays, in good faith, ask people to pay full price to watch a JV team hold tryouts for next year??

The Jays have a responsibility to try to win games for this year, whether it's relevant to making the playoffs or not. I guarantee you that if you took a poll from a cross section of Jays fans, a vast majority (myself, and - undoubtedbly - Gretzo, included), would tell you that a goal such as finishing over .500 IS meaningful, and something to strive for. You have to get your guys fired up over something, and there's pride associated with being a "winning team".

I'll enjoy watching the Jays' remaining games on Sportsnet ONE.