Wednesday, February 3, 2010

A Cry for Help

I just don’t have it today, folks. A wave of melancholy has struck deep into the pit of my creativity and left me grasping for a column topic. I literally have nothing to say right now. What am I supposed to write about?

The Leafs?

Yeah, they won 3-0. Big deal. Now, we have to spend the rest of the day listening to their moronic fan base plan a Stanley Cup parade because they caught the Devils on an off night. Did you hear the Air Canada Centre crowd chant Phaneuf’s name because he got into a fight? Really? You want to pay $6.5 million to an enforcer? Let’s hold off on comparisons to Doug Gilmour and Wendell Clark and wait for Dion to, you know, get a point.

I actually read one columnist who said that the Phaneuf acquisition will be a boon to Phil Kessel because it will take the pressure off of the jittery American. What a ridiculous line of logic. To hear the GTA talk about him, I’m expecting Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment to retire Phaneuf’s jersey at the next home game.

The Raptors?

I spent last Friday writing a gushing ode to the Raptors about how they’ve turned a corner and look to be Toronto’s only shot of having team make the postseason. What do the Raptors do? Completely undermine my credibility and lose to the lowly Indiana Pacers last night.

Not only did they lose, but they gave up 130 points to a team that is sixteen games under .500. Sure, Chris Bosh and Andrea Bargnani combined for 69 points, but we have always known that Toronto can score points. Defence is where this team falls woefully short. And, I’m sorry, but playoff calibre teams do not give up 130 points to the Indiana Pacers.

Entertainment or Pop Culture?

After yesterday’s opus on The Bachelor, the fleeting remnants of my manhood cannot take another column on such superfluous fluff.

Thus, I am requesting the help of you, my dear readers. Post a question or comment to today’s column and I will answer anything and everything in a future Valentine’s Day mailbag. Just don’t post under Anonymous.

Sound good?

Merci Beaucoup.

4 comments:

ac said...

You made your own bed with the Raps after doing exactly what you chastise the T.O. media and fans about doing - bandwagon jumping. A well learned lesson as Toronto fan is never get too high, never get too low. The fact is, the Raps are just not a very good team and the Leafs at least have a couple of decent pieces to hopefully now build on.

All of that aside however, I'm disappointed to read that you have nothing to write about after an introduction to what I am willing to deem the most unknown and underrated board game in existence: crokinole. It combines great skill, strategy, camaraderie and excitement into an explosive and hilarious half hour within a squared circle of friends. Nothing to write about? For shame.

Those who can't do...coach said...

The Hamilton Spectator recently ran this article about competitive cheerleading and the Olympics:
http://www.thespec.com/go/Health/article/716281

Do you believe that competitive cheerleading belongs in the Olympics? Would love to hear your opinion and comments on the article.

Dwight from Scranton said...

Tewks

Since you are an avid reality show voyeur I wonder if you can comment on the show that started it all " Survivor ". Can you handicap the heroes and villians version starting next week.

Rambo said...

1. Although the uncouthness of this blog highlights how you speak with other men, I am sure you are quite debonair amongst the ladies. If this is the case, I would like to know your thoughts on what an appropriate Valentine’s Day gift is for women. To increase the difficulty, what does a woman get a man for the occasion? (Please refrain from an answer involving the words ‘naked’ or ‘lingerie’). All I have heard this week is women complaining that they don’t know what to get their man.


2. I would also like to make a request of you to start a weekly post with your thoughts on Survivor (I know you watch it). This season’s ‘Heroes vs. Villains’ is going to be full of cut-throat dealings with the devil, a.k.a. Russell. My favourites: Colby, Boston Rob, Russell. Creepiest couple on Survivor: Jerri and Coach. Excuse me while I vomit. Also, thank god Sugar is gone... what an idiot. I love how Colby wouldn’t even acknowledge her attempts to seduce him. Someone should tell her that following a guy around like a lost puppy won’t make him like you. Silly, silly girl.